Posted on’s 2016 Challenge

It’s a new year…a new chance to do it better, differently than previous years.

What are you willing to commit to?

Each year, I add a level of resiliency to my lifestyle.

In 2015, I started recycling plastic bags (which you can typically do at your local supermarket – Whole Foods does it best in my opinion). I also researched solar options for our home. Watch for a blog post on comparing solar options in the near future.

In 2014, I committed to reduce plastic usage and switched to glass containers for leftovers.

In 2013, we did an energy audit and switched 95% of our light bulbs to LEDs which use very little energy and last 8+ years. (The remaining 5% are incandescent lightbulbs we are using up so as not to just waste them). we also converted our showers and toilets to be more water conservative.

In 2012, I started donating items to R.A.F.T. (

In 2011, I started a backyard garden.

In 2010, I started a compost bin in my back yard. We also purchased a hybrid car.

In 2006, I started line-drying our family’s clothes.

Since 1996, I’ve recycled every item I can…

You get the idea. ll these efforts accumulate as new habits and become easier each time.

Here are some other options:

Eat less meat or switch to a plant-based diet

Bike to work or school 1, 2, 3 or more days/week

Take the bus 1, 2, 3 or more days/week.

Switch to solar for your electricity source.

Recycle if you don’t

Reuse more if you don’t

…there’s so much more.

What are you willing to commit to in 2016?

Submit your personal challenge in the Comments section. Our environment thanks you!

Please follow and like us: